Friday, February 26, 2010

The Interview

Two days ago I had an interview for a part-time tutoring job at the Blue House (similar to America's White House) and it was the most interesting interview I've ever been on. First off, the day before my manager calls me and asks me if I could wear blue or green contacts for the interview. That was the first red flag, but I just said "I'm going to have to say noooooo," and went on with my day.
The day of the interview my manager and I show up and is greeted by a nice gentlemen who grew up in the Philippines and speaks English very well. We speak to him for a while about my life and teaching in Korea. He was very personable and was easy to talk to. Then his boss shows up and the interview makes a complete 180.

The questions I was asked:
Do you have a boyfriend?
What do you think about short guys?
How old are you?
Where do you live?
Is your boyfriend Korean or American?

And I'm sure there's more.

Throughout the interview he kept saying I looked just like a Korean and that I was thin and pretty. From this I felt like he liked me and that I probably was going to get the job. Then I overhear him saying something in Korean to my manager about an accent. "Accent?" I asked. He tells me I have a Korean accent and at that moment my mind explodes. I let it go and continue smiling and I try to be as charming as possible because, obviously, he wasn't interested in credentials. Turns out I didn't get the job because I was Korean looking. He wanted to hire an "original" looking American.

Now from this rant you may think that I'm mad but I couldn't stop laughing to myself on the way home. "What on earth just happened?" I kept thinking to myself. This guy just outright asked any question he wanted to ask no matter how personal or inappropriate it was. It was interesting to say the least. It would have been cool to work at the Blue House though.


Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment